Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Time to get excited

My adventure to Chile has crept up fast; and in just 47 hours, I will be boarding the first plane of the trip. I decided to start this blog so family and friends are able to follow my adventure through the country; depending on how well I keep this up to date, I may even continue it once I have returned. 

After purchasing my first GoPro approximately one year ago, I have slowly been pulled into creating some amateur videos of my adventures. This is likely what will fill my blog up; however, I will be putting up some sweet photos taken by my mates. 


This first video, titled "Rain in the Paparoas" is my very first edit. It includes footage of two separate trips during a rather wet weekend on the West Coast of New Zealand. First trip was following a day of heavy down-pore  where a couple of us went and checked out both 9 mile slide and Coal Creek Falls. Both features drain towards the SWW of the Paparoa Ranges and are a bit of fun with a good amount of water. Two days later, the rain had eased but did not completely stop. A different group of us decided that Blackball Creek would be at a good flow; we rallied out there and it was a great trip down. Unfortunately my GoPro ran out of batteries and I missed the best section on the run. Enjoy.


A photo of myself, first to give the crux rapid a nudge.
Myself nearing the end of 9 mile slide.






















Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqmOii2UqIM&feature=plcp




This second video, titled "First descent of the Macfarlane River" is an edit I made of our first descent completed January 28th down in Haast. More of an adventure than a classic river; the Macfarlane included about 6 hours of boating and about 11 hours of portaging; and not to mention a cold wet night in the very rugged bush. Enjoy
A photo by Ari Walker of myself testing out a small drop on the Macfarlane River.
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7DiC54bsbg&feature=plcp





In the third video, titled "Kokatahi with the boys", I started testing out the effects available on my editing program; this resulted in not so much kayaking and more visual shots I guess. A little different but I enjoyed making it. This edit is of our weekend trip over to the Coast; the plan was for Ari Walker and myself to guide three of our mates down the first run of the Kokatahi River so the mission was on. Low flow and stunning weather, like always, made this trip an absolute success. There was some good carnage and a massive bender in Franz Joseph that night; so basically the perfect weekend.

Ari Walker styling Skateboard Ramp.

A bit of carnage following Yates' attempt at Skateboard ramp.
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyWiwoUz8r4&feature=plcp






My most recent video, titled "First descent of the Edwards River", is an edit of another first descent we were lucky enough to complete. The weather, water levels, work, and so much more seemed to be conspiring against us to prevent us from completing this excellent addition to the Canterbury paddling scene. After scouting the entire section from top to bottom just weeks prior, there was now way we were going to walk away from it knowing what was hidden up that valley. Even though the day began with a 4 hour walk through rain, sleet, and snow; this was still an epic trip to have completed. Check it out.

Ari "the Currie" styling "Slot Machine".
Myself at the bottom of the unrun two tiered 90
footer. Skux sending the boats over; much easier
than portaging them around!

No comments:

Post a Comment